Professor & Larson Endowed Chair in Soil and Water Resources
|B.S.||1979||University of California, Riverside||Earth Science - Geophysics|
|M.S.||1981||Purdue University||Agronomy - Soil Chemistry|
|Ph.D.||1983||Purdue University||Agronomy - Soil Physics|
Affiliated Graduate Programs
My research emphasizes (1) the measurement, modeling, and management of uncertainty and risk for non-point source pollution of surface and groundwater; (2) the characterization and estimation of field-scale variability for precision farming; (3) the evaluation of alternative farm management strategies for improved soil quality and sustainability; and (4) evaluation of policies for soil and water resources.
Post Doctorate and Graduate Students:
- Jacob Galzki, M.S. in Water Resources Science. Terrain attributes for critical source area protection.
- Joel Nelson, GIS Specialist. Terrain attributes for ravine, gully and streambank erosion.
- Tyler Nigon, Ph.D. in Land and Atmospheric Science. Hyperspectral remote sensing in corn.
- Muhammad Tahir, Research Fellow. Modeling N losses to groundwater.
- Grace Wilson, Ph.D. in Land and Atmospheric Science. Modeling impacts of precision nitrogen management on water quality.
- Brian Bohman, Ph.D. in Water Resources Science. Reducing nitrate leaching to groundwater from irrigated crops.
- Aicam Laacouri, Ph.D. in Land and Atmospheric Science. Remote sensing of nitrogen deficiency in corn.
- Abdelkrim Lachgar, Ph.D. in Land and Atmospheric Science. Remote sensing of soil phosphorus.
- Mohamed Ouarani, Ph.D. in Water Resource Science. Coupled models for surface and ground water.
- Soil 5232 Vadose Zone Hydrology
- Nigon, T. J., C. Yang, G. Dias Paiao, D. Mulla, J. Knight, and F. Fernández. 2020. Prediction of early season nitrogen uptake in maize using high resolution aerial hyperspectral imagery. Remote Sensing 12(8):1234. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs12081234
- Wilson, G.L., D.J. Mulla, J.A. Vetsch, and G.R. Sands. 2020. Regional prediction of nitrate-N loads in subsurface drainage as a function of fertilizer application rate and timing in Southern Minnesota. J. Environ. Qual. 49:1347-1358. https://doi.org/10.1002/jeq2.20121.
- Zermas, D., H. Nelson, P. Stanitsas, V. Morellas, D. Mulla, and N. Papanikolopoulos. 2020. A methodology for the detection of nitrogen deficiency in corn fields using high resolution RGB imagery. IEEE Trans. Automation Sci. Engineering 10.1109/TASE.2020.3022868.
- Zermas, D., V. Morellas, D. Mulla and N. Papanikolopoulos. 2020. 3D Model processing for high throughput phenotype extraction - The case of Corn. Computers Electronics Agriculture. 172:105047. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2019.105047.
- Wilson, G., D. Mulla, J. Galzki, A. Laacouri, J. Vetsch and G. Sands. 2020. Effects of fertilizer timing and variable rate N on nitrate-N losses from a tile drained corn-soybean rotation simulated using Drainmod-NII. Prec. Ag. 21:311-323. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11119-019-09668-4.
- Jungers, J. M., L.H. DeHaan, D. J. Mulla, C.C. Sheaffer, and D. L. Wyse. 2019. Reduced nitrate leaching in a perennial grain crop compared to maize in the Upper Midwest, USA. Agric. Ecosys. Environ. 272:63-73.
- Dalzell, B. and D. Mulla. 2018. Perennial vegetation impacts on stream discharge and channel sources of sediment in the Minnesota River Basin. J. Soil Water Conserv. 73(2):120-132.
- Pennington, D., B. Dalzell, E. Nelson, S. Polasky, P. Hawthorne, D. Mulla, S. Taff and P. Hawthorne. 2017. Estimating the full costs of meeting pollution reduction targets. Ecol. Econ. 139:75-90.
- Mulla, D. and R. Khosla. 2015. Historical evolution and recent advances in precision farming. Ch. 1. In: (R. Lal, and B.A. Stewart, eds.), Soil Specific Farming: Precision Agriculture. Adv. Soil Sci. Taylor and Francis Publ., Boca Raton, FL.
- Vashisht, B.B., T. Nigon, D. J. Mulla, C. Rosen, H. Xu, T. Twine and S. K. Jalota. 2015. Adaptation of water and nitrogen management to future climates for sustaining potato yield in Minnesota. Agric. Water Management 152: 198-206.
- Lazarus, W., D. J. Mulla and D. Wall. 2014. A spreadsheet planning tool for assisting a state agency with cost-effective watershed scale surface water nitrogen planning. J. Soil Water Conservation 69:45A-50A.
- Mulla, D. J. 2013. Twenty five years of remote sensing in precision agriculture: Key advances and remaining knowledge gaps. Biosystems Engineering. 114:358-371.
- Dalzell, B. J., J. Y. King, D. J. Mulla, J. C. Finlay, and G. R. Sands. 2011. Influence of subsurface drainage on quantity and quality of dissolved organic matter export from agricultural landscapes. J. Geophys. Res. 116 G02023, doi:10.1029/2010JG001540.
- Nangia, V., D. J. Mulla and P. H. Gowda. 2010. Precipitation changes impact stream discharge, nitrate-nitrogen load more than agricultural management changes. J. Environ. Qual. 39:2063-2071.
- Miao, Y., D. J. Mulla, G. Randall, J. Vetsch and R. Vintila. 2009. Combining chlorophyll meter readings and high spatial resolution remote sensing images for in-season site-specific nitrogen management of corn. Precision Agriculture 10:45-62.
- Fang, F., P. L. Brezonik, D. J. Mulla, and L. K. Hatch. 2002. Estimating runoff phosphorus losses from calcareous soils in the Minnesota River Basin. J. Environ. Quality 31(6):1918-1929.
- Birr, A. S. and D. J. Mulla. 2001. Evaluation of phosphorus site index in watersheds at the regional scale. J. Environ. Quality. 30:2018-2025.
- Randall, G. W. and D. J. Mulla. 2001. Nitrate-N in surface waters as influenced by climatic conditions and agricultural practices. J. Environ. Qual. 30:337-344.
- Davis, D. M., P. H. Gowda, D. J. Mulla, and G. W. Randall. 2000. Modeling nitrate nitrogen leaching in response to nitrogen fertilizer rate and tile drain depth or spacing for southern Minnesota, USA. J. Environ. Qual. 29:1568-1581.
- Wollenhaupt, N. C., D. J. Mulla, and C. A. Gotway. 1997. Soil sampling and interpolation techniques for mapping spatial variability of soil properties. p. 19-54. In: (F. J. Pierce and E. J. Sadler, eds.), The State of Site Specific Management for Agriculture. ASA/CSSA/SSSA, Madison, WI.
- Mulla, D. J. Mapping and managing spatial patterns in soil fertility and crop yield. In: P. Robert, W. Larson, and R. Rust (eds.), Soil Specific Crop Management. Am. Soc. Agronomy, Madison, WI. pp. 15-26, 1993.
- Mulla, D. J., Bhatti, A. U., Hammond, M. W., and Benson, J. A. A comparison of winter wheat yield and quality under uniform versus spatially variable fertilizer management. Agric. Ecosys. Env. 38:301-311, 1992.
- Rossi, R. E., Mulla, D. J., Journel, A. G., and Franz, E. H. Geostatistical interpretation of ecological phenomena: Tools for modeling spatial dependence. Ecological Monographs 62:277-314, 1992.
- Bhatti, A. U., Mulla, D. J., and Frazier, B. E. Estimation of soil properties and wheat yields on complex eroded hills using geostatistics and Thematic Mapper images. Remote Sensing Environ. 37:181-191, 1991.
- Mulla, D. J., Page, A. L., and Ganje, T. J. Cadmium accumulations and bioavailability in soils from long-term phosphorus fertilization. J. Environ. Qual. 9(3), 408-412, 1980.