B.S. 1997 University of Wisconsin – La Crosse Biology
M.S. 2000 University of Minnesota Water Resources Science
Ph.D. 2004 Purdue University Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Applied Environmental Geoscience: Application of geochemical and modeling approaches to understand anthropogenic impacts on Earth resources. Evaluation of alternative management practices to improve environmental quality.
Soil Biogeochemistry: Studying the sources, transformations, and sinks of organic carbon and nutrients in soils and their connected aquatic ecosystems by applying a variety of techniques including molecular and stable isotope biomarkers as well as GIS analyses of spatial datasets.
- Keeler, B.L., B.J. Dalzell, J.D. Gourevitch, P.L. Hawthorne, K.A. Johnson, and R.R. Noe. In Press. Putting people on the map: Focus on endpoints for improved ecosystem service prioritization. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment.
- Mitchell, N., K. Kumarasamy, S.Cho, P. Belmont, B. Dalzell, and K. Gran. August 2018. Reducing High Flows and Sediment Loading through Increased Water Storage in an Agricultural Watershed of the Upper Midwest, USA. Water. 10, 1053; doi:10.3390/w10081053
- Dalzell, B.J. and D.J. Mulla. 2018. Perennial vegetation impacts on stream discharge and channel sources of sediment in the Minnesota River Basin. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 73(2) 120-132. doi:10.2489/jswc.73.2.120
- Brown, C.M., C. Staley, P. Wang, B. Dalzell, C.L. Chun, and M.J. Sadowsky. 2017. A high-throughput DNA-sequencing approach for determining sources of fecal bacteria in a Lake Superior estuary. Environmental Science and Technology. 51 (8263-8271) doi: 10.1021/acs.est.7b01353
- Pennington, D., B. Dalzell, E. Nelson, S. Polasky, D. Mulla, S. Taff, P. Hawthorne., and S. Polasky. 2017. Cost-effective land use planning: Optimizing spatial land management to maximize social benefits. Ecological Economics. 139: 75-90. doi:10.1016/j.ecolecon.2017.04.24
- Fissore, C., B.J. Dalzell, A.A. Berhe, M. Voegtle, M. Evans, and A. Wu. 2016. Influence of topography on soil organic carbon dynamics in a southern California grassland. Catena. 149: 140-149. doi:10.1016/j.catena.2016.09.016
- Johnson, K.A., B.J. Dalzell, M. Donahue, J. Gourevitch, D.L. Johnson, G.S. Karlovits, B. Keeler, and J.T. Smith. 2016. Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) lands provide ecosystem service benefits that exceed land rental payment costs. Ecosystem Services. 18: 175-185 doi: 10.1016/j.ecoser.2016.03.004
- Wilson, G., B.J. Dalzell, D. Mulla, P. Porter, and T. Dogweiler. 2014. Estimating water quality effects of conservation practices and grazing land use change scenarios. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 69(4):330-342. doi: 10.2489/jswc.69.4.330
- Dalzell, B.J., J.M.F. Johnson, J. Tallaksen, D.L. Allan, and N.W. Barbour. 2013. Simulated impacts of crop residue removal and tillage on soil organic matter maintenance. Soil Science Society of America Journal.77: 1349-1356. doi: 10.2136/sssaj2012.0221
- Keeler, B., S. Polasky, K. Brauman, K. Johnson, J. Finlay, A. O'Neill, K. Kovacs, and B. Dalzell. 2012. Linking water quality and well-being for improved assessment and valuation of ecosystem services. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1215991109
- Gowda, P.H., J.V. Westra, D. Petrolia, B.J. Dalzell, and D.J. Mulla. 2011. Impact of targeted removal of residue cover on water quality in the Sand Creek watershed. Journal of Environmental Hydrology. 19(25), 1-12
- Dalzell, B.J., J.Y. King, D.J. Mulla, J.C. Finlay, and G.R. Sands. 2011. Influence of subsurface drainage on quantity and quality of dissolved organic matter export from agricultural landscapes. Journal of Geophysical Research. doi: 10.1029/2010JG001540 [this paper was highlighted in the American Geophysical Union Research Spotlight: Eos 92(31): p. 264]
- Kruger, B.R., B.J. Dalzell, and E.C. Minor. 2011. Effect of organic matter source and salinity on dissolved organic matter isolation via ultrafiltration and solid phase extraction. Aquatic Sciences. doi: 10.1007/s00027-011-0189-4
- Dalzell, B.J., E.C. Minor, and K. Mopper. 2009. Photodegradation of estuarine dissolved organic matter: A multi-method assessment of DOM transformation. Organic Geochemistry. 40(243-257) doi:10.1016/j.orggeochem.2008.10.003