Ph.D. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, University of Minnesota
Research interest includes carbohydrate metabolism, Cold induced sweetening and other physiological changes during long term cold storage. Processing and nutritional quality changes in potatoes during cold storage. Development of tools for large scale screening in potato breeding. Protein isolation and characterization. Structure-function relationship. Genetic transformation of crops.
- Novy RG, Whitworth JL, Stark JC, Charlton BA, Yilma S, Knowles NR, Pavek MJ, Brandt TL, Gupta SK, Olsen N, Thornton M, Brown CR, Corsini DL, Pavek JJ, James SR, Hane DC, Saldana-Lozoya H, Vales MI, (2012). Palisade Russet: A late blight resistant potato cultivar having a low incidence of sugar ends and high specific gravity. Am. J. Potato Res. 89:89-101.
- Whitworth JL, Novy RG, Stark JC, Pavek JJ, Corsini DL , Love SL, Olsen N, Gupta SK, Brandt TL, Vales I, Mosley AR, Yilma S, James SR, Hane DC, Charlton BA, Shock CC, Knowles NR, Pavek MJ, Miller JS, Brown CR (2011). Alpine Russet: A potato cultivar having long tuber dormancy making it suitable for processing from long-term storage. Am. J. Potato Res. 88:256-268.
- Novy RG, Whitworth JL, Stark JC, Love SL, Corsini DL, Pavek JJ, Vales MI, James SR, Hane DC, Shock CC, Charlton BA, Brown CR, Knowles NR, Pavek MJ, Brandt TL, Gupta SK, Olsen N. (2010). Clearwater Russet: A Dual-Purpose, Potato Cultivar with Cold Sweetening Resistance, High Protein Content, and a Low Incidence of External Defects and Sugar Ends. Am. J. Potato Res. 87:458-471.
- Gupta, SK, JR Sowokinos, In-Su Hahn (2008). Regulation of UDP-glucose pyrophosphorylase isozyme UGP5 associated with cold-sweetening resistance in potatoes. J Plant Physiol. 165:679-690.
- McKenzie, MJ, JR Sowokinos, IM Shea, SK Gupta, RR Lindlauf, JAD Anderson (2005). Investigations on the role of acid invertase and UDP-glucose pyrophosphorylase in potato clones with varying resistance to cold induced sweetening. Am J Potato Res 82:231-239.
- Gupta SK and JR Sowokinos (2003). Physiochemical and kinetic properties of unique isozymes of UDP-Glc pyrophosphorylase that is associated with resistance to sweetening in stored potato tubers. J of Plant Physiol. 160:589-600.
- Gupta SK, JR Sowokinos and I Shea (2000). Isolation and characterization of cold sweetening resistant isozyme of UGP-Glc Pyrophosphorylase (UGPase) from potato (cv. Snowden). Am J of Potato Res. 77(6), 400.